Today we are focusing on the status of the building
An independent report commissioned by the city in 2006, noted major problems that are still true today:
The infrastructure of the library is at end of life requiring a major investment that diverts funds away from library services and library programs
- The roof is at end of life.
- Major plumbing repairs are needed.
- Refurbished multiple times and continues to break down regularly.
- Not up to code, too small – needs to be big enough to accommodate a gurney.
- The electrical wiring needs a complete overhaul. (More on this in an upcoming post)
- The building is not energy efficient:
- No thermal windows
- No insulation
- No light sensors to switch lights on/off based on occupancy.
As a library visitor these problems are not obvious (apart from the elevator). However when any of these items fail it significantly affects users of the library.